[AccessD] Memo/Attachment fields

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Dec 6 14:40:33 CST 2010

The idea of storing memo fields in separate tables is to  help prevent record/page locking
problems in a multi-user environment.

Based on this statement from Microsoft:

"By default, each field in a relational database contains only one piece of data. For example,
if an address field contained more than one address, finding addresses would be difficult, if
not impossible. So at first glance, attachments seem to break the rules of database design
because you can attach more than one file - one piece of data - to a field. However,
attachments do not break any design rules, because as you attach files to a record, Office
Access 2007 creates one or more system tables and uses those tables behind the scenes to
normalize your data. You cannot view or work with those tables.",

it appreas that the attachments are in fact stored in separate tables. I really don't see any
other way they could be doing it.   If that is so, the recommendation doesn't apply.

--
Stuart

--
Stuart