[AccessD] Preparing Database for Web

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Mon Dec 13 07:39:50 CST 2010

David,

  Well at this point, having a "web interface" doesn't mean moving away from
Access.  You have the Access 2010/SharePoint 2010 setup, which I hear is
fantastic (haven't used it myself).

  There's also one company out there that offers Access DB's on a web
portal:

  www.eqldata.com

  Again, haven't used them myself and haven't heard of anyone that has, but
if they can do what they say they can do, then it's almost a no brainer; any
version of Access through a web browser with no conversion.

  Might want to check them out.

  As far as using JET for a backend, it does work well.  What Drew has
pointed out many times and people forget is that in a web setup, the only
user touching the DB is the web server itself.  Outside hits don't matter.

   Where the rub comes in is maintenance; no on-line backups, no
recovery/roll forward if something goes wrong, and the DB has to come
off-line to do Compact and Repair.

  Unless this is a non 24x7 DB with light usage, I'd be looking at another
BE.

Jim.