[AccessD] OCZ's RevoDrive Preview: An Affordable PCIe SSD - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Dec 23 12:13:53 CST 2010

 > Sounds like this is going the same route as LCD HD TVs. $1500 last year....$800 this year.

Yes maybe...

SSD prices are driven by the cost of flash memory.  To this point Flash prices have dropped on a $/g
(gig / chip) basis but the technology is leveling out in terms of density on a single chip.

OTOH SSDs are all the rage now which means SSD units sold is climbing rapidly, which is driving
production capacity so we should still see some price decline on the cost / chip front as
manufacturing continues to ramp up.  Prices held level for a long time, then dropped rapidly this
last year but seem to be leveling off now (for how long?).

I bought my first perhaps 18 months ago.  I now have 4 SSD drives in house, one as a boot disk for
one of my HTPCs, one as a Read-Mostly for a third party program that needs fast access to db files,
and two hosting my central SQL Server database files.  I am about to buy one for my two year old
laptop to give it a mid life performance boost.  I will probably continue to buy / use them for my
central database files.