[AccessD] AccessD Digest, Vol 84, Issue 16

Max (MGA) max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 10:51:24 CST 2010

That is really good, Ken.

I have bookmarked this for future ref.

It explains a lot. Many thanks

Max

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Kenneth Ismert
Sent: 12 February 2010 16:42
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [AccessD] AccessD Digest, Vol 84, Issue 16

> Max Wanadoo:
> That doesn't make any sense. It is not as if it  is going to UNDO 754
> changes!
> Wonder what the  logic there was?

I think I know most of that answer: an Access form can have 1024 controls.
Subtract 255 AccessField controls (one for each possible field in the
RecordSource), and you get 769 remaining. There are nine acSection
constants, so you can assume there are 9 built-in section controls. That
leaves 760 controls, only six undocumented internal controls away from 754.

> Charlotte Foust:
> There's also a limit on the overall length of a form or report in design
> view.

That one is easy: Height and Width are short integers. The positive limit is
32768. Divide by 1440 twips per inch and you get 22.75, which is just above
the published limit.

Stuart McLachlan
> That is not  the "structure" of the form.  That is a list of the
> "properties" of the form which
> have been set.
> The structure would be details about  all the external and internal
> properties(such as lifetime
> count of controls) and how these properties are stored internally.

The SaveAsTest output represents the structure of the form. The lifetime
count of controls (at least in A2K) is carried in the "ItemSuffix" attribute
of the form. So "ItemSuffix =15" indicates 15 controls used up in the
lifetime count.

Once you can recreate a form from scratch, you could conceivably parse the
SaveAsText output and create the controls and properties from its structure.
It might even be more efficient, because SaveAsText saves only the
properties that have changed from the default.

-Ken