[AccessD] Add-In Express 2009 for Office and .NET

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 13:53:30 CST 2010

> Stuart McLachlan:
> AFAIK, that will create a new form with the counter initialised.
> That's one of the things that EATBloat does do for you.
>
> >Rocky Smolin:
> > If you hit the limit can you export the form to a text file and then
> > reimport it to reset the object counter?

Doing an export/import using SaveAsText/LoadFromText does NOT reset the
counter. This is certainly true in A2K -- I tested that with very large
forms, and verified it. Also, this type of restore does not fix certain
kinds of bloat-causing corruption. I verified that too, again in A2K.

It also turns out that manually editing the "ItemSuffix" attribute in the
form text file isn't reliable. See my earlier response to Max. Also, Access
got grumpy on certain of our problem forms when this trick was tried.

This was one of the motivations for doing the much more involved rebuild
from scratch, control-by-control, property-by-property. Development was
grinding to a halt, and none of the standard measures fixed the problem. The
rebuild was an extreme solution for an extreme problem, but it worked.

I would be very interested to see testing done in versions of Access later
than 2000, to see if this behavior still exists.

-Ken