[AccessD] DBRepair (EatBloat+) Was: Re: AccessD Digest, Vol 84, Issue 23

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Tue Feb 16 11:08:15 CST 2010

<<<
This would be an attractive project for me to take on if it would solve
problems not just for A2K, but for more recent versions as well.

Hi Ken --

You are welcome to implement this functionality as an Access.PowerTools
plug-in in one of its future releases if you plan this your tool to be
shared on MIT license basis...

AFAIKR I have had a discussion here on AccessD or on Access-L(?) quite some
time ago - I cannot find it on Internet, which was called "Getting sources
from MS Access MDE". The issue was that one of the developers lost their
source mdb, and they didn't have resources to purchase a tool
extracting/recreating forms' and reports' designs out of mde. And that time
I had written a small tool mdb, which did run subject .mde in Automation
mode, did open all its forms and reports, and did get forms' and reports'
design out of that mde recreated form by form, report by report, control by
control - that could have been in some parts similar to your code but I must
say I can't find its sources now - they are buried somewhere on my old
disconnected HDDs - that code was just creating forms and reports in VBA,
extracting their properties by iterating properties collections of
forms/reports sections and controls, creating target forms'/reports'
sections and controls and assigning properties' values using .add property -
something like that relatively simple but efficient - and it did the job
well...

And I was unaware that time that solution was much closer - as undocumented
.SaveAsText feature could have got forms', reports', and macros designs out
of .mdes: Access.PoweTools can do that now - just a side effect/benefit
feature of this tool.

Thank you.

--
Shamil