[AccessD] Sunday OT: BackUp & Synchronize

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Feb 22 16:23:42 CST 2010

Hi Shamil

Your situation is a bit different so I wouldn't suggest you should mimic my setup but the involved tools or utilities could prove useful as well as some of the other mentioned in the thread. Also, our purpose is not to sync two or more machines, only one-way backup and ad-hoc restore.

I understand that you have two machines at home, right? And no dedicated server? And access to a remote FTP-server?
Then Second Copy would fit the bill. It can sync the two machines and backup from one machine to the FTP-server.
You would need two licenses though it would work with one license only. The site is not completely clear on this.

I would add to this some kind of system backup to, say, an external harddisk which normally would be stored somewhere else outside your home.

GBridge would work between two local machines as well but doesn't feature FTP backup. But it is a Novel idea and a little fun to set up. It allows for remote access to your machines - say from a notebook at the client to your machine at home if it is on-line.

By the way, if you install LogMeIn Free on your workstation(s) you may be able to power them up remotely via Wake-On-Lan from a browser. A very nice feature which I use; then I can leave my office workstation turned off for the weekend but should I need access to it from home, I can turn it on this way. Very clever, and no difficult configuration has to done, it works out of the box.

Jungle Disk or MySecureBackup (the OEM version) is quite different as it backs up to a remote store at Amazon. This, however, features a web interface and a network drive interface as well, which means that you can access your stored files from any machine with a browser and internet connection, and locally access your stored files as if it was a normal network drive with a drive letter. The fee for storing at Amazon is very low and the storage capacity is for any practical purpose unlimited. You pay per month only for the storage in use and a tiny amount for traffic.

/gustav

>>> shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru 22-02-2010 20:21 >>>
Hi Gustav et al,

Thank you for your replies/proposals.

Gustav, I wanted to try your "backup scheme":

<<<
1. Server to local backup station via Second Copy
2. Backup station to remote location via Gbridge
3. Server to the cloud via MySecureBackup

But I'm not sure  I understand how this scheme allows to organize automatic
synchronization of two PCs' files & folders: are that GBridge's "Secure
Share" and "Auto Sync" tasks? What is the max storage capacity for GBridge
solution?

Or does SecondCopy have automatic synchronization feature, and then I have
to get two SecondCopy licenses - one for each PC?

Or it's MySecureBackup, which allows to setup automatic synchronization and
which represents theoretically unlimited storage as that one can grow as
your backup storage needs grow, and as you pay additional monthly fees for
that storage via MySecureBackup on Amazon C3?...

Thank you.

--
Shamil