[AccessD] Using macros - good thing or bad? Was RE:OT searchinname attachments in outlook2003

Collins, Darryl Darryl.Collins at anz.com
Mon Feb 22 20:05:27 CST 2010

Yeah,

I think this is the crux of it. Trying to enhance MS Access for end
users so they can do stuff without having to learn or understand
programming.  Most folks I know find using Access too complicated
(probably because it requires some discipline with your data) and they
usually just end up using Excel instead.  Although even Excel seems to
be beyond some users.

Sidebar: Had a user the other day come up to me and asked "how do I
insert a table in Excel?".  I was like - how do you mean? - the whole
application IS a table.  She was thinking of it like MS Word Tables and
wanted to set up one that was 10 row x 5 cols or something - was trying
Insert > Table, and then was trying to colour them in or something so
the app 'knew' where her table was going to be.  Lordi....  Odd...
Anyway.....  I digress.

Looking at sharepoint in a similar light to Access Macros.  Much of it
is a bit like SQL Server for beginers.  I can see why some folks like it
as it can do a lot of the hack work for you, but it comes at a cost
though.

Me? I prefer to do most of the nuts and bolts work myself...

Cheers
Darryl.