[AccessD] Using macros - good thing or bad?

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 10:16:00 CST 2010

Also, it seems to be the consensus of the list that macros, even in 2010,
can't handle form and report events with parameters.

This means they still don't support variables.

What would make me switch to Macros:

1. Expand them into a kind of VBScript.NET, with a typeless variable system,
public functions, and try/catch error handling. The current macros would be
a subset of this language.
2. Make them first-class citizens by integrating Macros into the IDE along
with the older VBA modules.
3. Allow them to be extensible using full-strength .NET languages -- define
your own custom actions, etc.

But, without a viable alternative to the VBA code-based way of coordinating
forms, reports, queries and data, I'm just not that interested in macros.

-Ken

Stuart McLachlan: