[AccessD] A2K:Get file name after drag and drop

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 18 11:35:46 CST 2010

I've verified that the sample code at the link http://digitalpbk.blogspot.com/2006/12/drag-n-drop-files-from-explorer-to-vb.html posted earlier works in A2k.  You've got to be careful when stepping through code and working in the immediated window some times when working with API calls as Windows is somewhat sensitive when you return or set unexpected values, or, if you cover a window that is getting mouse messages with a code window.  Once implemented and debugged, it is stable in A2k on my Vista laptop.  I had a bit of a fuss attempting to pass a reference to 'me.Form' and the application crashed a few times until I just passed 'me'.  The A2003 version I've got running uses a subform that required me to pass me.parentform.subform.Form whereas the example I worked out in A2K used a file list directly on a form rather than a sub form.

I've deployed a version of the code in the 2003 environment and users are happy with the new convenience.  No reported issues a few days after deployment.

Jürgen Welz