[AccessD] OT: Windows 7 .. I'm VERY impressed

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jan 21 21:53:23 CST 2010

Drew,

Amen
Amen!

For all of my servers I use a raid 6 array running on raid co-processor cards.  On those arrays I
store all of my data.  I have upgraded, moved and so forth all of my data many times and never lost
a thing.

A raid array is NOT a backup, but it is as close to bullet proof as you can get in terms of
preventing HARDWARE caused data loss.

I use VMWare virtual machines.  I do so because I needed to access fast disks natively from the VM
and at the time I started doing this Virtual PC wouldn't allow me to do the things I needed.  But
virtual machines are so recommended.  The ability to simply copy the file off to another machine and
be back up and running is indescribably useful.

Likewise I capture all of my downloads.  I have gotten lazy about things like Firefox and so forth
where I can get it off the internet, though I even carry around a 4 gig memory stick with those and
other programs.

And ditto to the ISO images.  They can be a PITA to get mounted and visible sometimes but I have
always managed.

I must say I have not gone so far as a virtual PC running my dev machine on my laptop running on
"bare metal".  It is a useful concept but I found it just a tad too slow.  I have a fairly powerful
laptop but it just didn't quite work fast enough.  I also had issues with VMS client and Hamachi
colliding.  It took a LONG time to figure that out.

Some day I will do the VM on plain jane OS but I'm not there yet.