[AccessD] Deploying Runtime

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Sat Jan 23 08:53:37 CST 2010

Sorry, updating my own post before it's even landed.

Ok, the "Office XP Developer" I referrred to is not just a runtime thingy is
it, it's the full version of Office XP - which I already have. I'm staring
at an Office XP Developer box which says "distribute royalty-free
solutions".

So I guess I have the Office tool and my questions become:
1. Anyone know if I can take an Access 2000 app and use Office XP developer
to distribute it, or do I need to convert app to Access XP?
2. Question 2 below re Wise and Sagekey scripts still applies.

Andy

------------------------------------
Hi all
I know this has been kicked around before so apoogies for raising it again
but time's moved on so the current situation may have too. Anyway, a quick
look at the the archives didn't illuminate me.

I'm proposing to take an app written in Excel and rewrite it in Access.
Problem is that it will need distributing to 200+ machines Europe-wide, most
of which won't have Access. Now I haven't used Access Runtime for about 15
years so am well out-of-date and could do with an update. I guess my
questions are;

1. Any chance of me getting hold of whatever's needed (Access Developer
Edition is it?) to create runtimes for older versions (Access 2000, 2002)?

Have in fact just looked and there's a copy of "Microsoft Office 2000
Developer Tools for PC" on ebay in UK. Is that what I need? There's a copy
of "Microsoft Office XP 2002 Developer 269-04560 COMMERCIAL" too. Is that
the 2002 equivalent? If I buy either/both of these am I getting the right
software?

2.If I get those is that all I need? I've seen a post on a forum which says,
and I quote:
"There can definitely be conflicts when installing ART to machines with full
versions of Access. I use the 2002 ART and deploy those apps with the Wise
Installer and use Sagekey scripts (www.sagekey.com) ... this script is
designed specificially to install my application with the ART on a machine
with an exisiting version of Access so that they can both co-exist. They're
not cheap - the scripts are around $400 USD, the Wise installer runs between
$400-$1000 USD - but they make your life a lot easier. Since switching to
these scripts and the Wise Installer, my support calls for installation have
been reduced to almost nothing; "

Do others back up this experience?

Id appreciate you guys' wise advice as always.

Andy