[AccessD] A2003:Replacing 'tokens' in a string

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Jan 28 11:42:10 CST 2010

LOL, hey now, don't put words in my mouth JC.  What I said is that when
I need a SIMPLE property, ie, a property that is going to be a value,
and require no processing whatsoever, then I simply declare them as
Public variables (ie, a simple property).  I use Get and Let statements
all the time.  And I know many people use them even for simple
properties.  There's nothing wrong with using Get/Let statements, and I
don't think there is anything wrong with my method either.  Is my method
lazier...probably... I can't deny that! ;)

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:21 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] A2003:Replacing 'tokens' in a string

 > still obfuscation however.

A quick Google provides:

Obfuscation is the concealment of intended meaning in communication,
making communication confusing,
intentionally ambiguous, and more difficult to interpret.

Obfuscation requires intent.

I have to assume that your intended meaning was Abstruse.

Abstruse: difficult to penetrate; incomprehensible to one of ordinary
understanding or knowledge.

The problem with defining Classes as Abstruse is that term "one of
ordinary understanding or
knowledge".  If you are going to use that term about classes, then it
implies knowing classes is not
ordinary.

I make the assumption that no one on this list is ordinary.  That only
leaves their understanding.

Classes are quite ordinary to me, and are quite ordinary to many others
on this list.  I have long
maintained that they SHOULD BE ordinary to almost everyone on this list,
and if not you should work
on that to make them ordinary.

Most of us are professionals Max.  Having one of the most powerful tools
in the toolbox be Abstruse
is not a good place to be.

 > All those LETS and GETS just to parse a string.

Lets and gets are optional.  In fact (IIRC) Drew insists that he NEVER
uses them.