[AccessD] A2003:Replacing 'tokens' in a string

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Jan 28 11:53:36 CST 2010

Actually, that is not true Max, he didn't want to just parse a string.
He wanted to parse a string TWICE.  There is a distinction.

If he had a string "[InvoiceNo]=12345", then he would have never gotten
a class example from me, I would have simply said
strArray()=Split(strWhatever,"=");strArray(1).  Case closed.  But he
presented a string of multiple [Field]=Value items, which can be solved
by two splits, but is much easier to use with a class/collection USING
the Split statements.  I did also preface my initial reply with a
statement saying that he already had several GOOD working solutions, so
I wasn't trying to shove a class solution down anyone's throat.

And to answer your analogy of using a scientific calculator..... why buy
a basic calculator when you already have a scientific one?

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Max Wanadoo
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:28 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] A2003:Replacing 'tokens' in a string

I know Drew. Everything you say makes eminent  sense - cannot argue with
it.

BUT

Why buy a scientific calculator when all you want is the answer to
arithmetic sums?

That's the  ONLY point I am making.

What you (and John) are saying is all good stuff and worth listening to.
No
question.  But he just wanted to parse a string...not rocket science.

Thanks mucho

Max