[AccessD] Network Problem

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 8 10:45:38 CDT 2010

Hi Rocky:

Assuming that your XP and Windows7 are on the same workgroup/domain, their
IP addresses in the same group (you have ran ipconfig to display each IP
setting and they are compatible. Internet Protocol version 4 on Windows7
must be set right), the XP printer is shared, you can ping your XP box from
you Windows7 box the following should connect to the printer:

Via network: IE \\192.168.111.222\MyPrinterShareName (nothing like brute
force)

If you connected it will prompt you for an appropriate Username and
Password. This should work but be aware that what printer drivers that runs
on an XP box will not run correctly on a Windows7 box.

Connected my daughter's laptop, running Windows7 Ultima, to my Server3003
printers, in about 5 minutes and after upgrading the printer driver, on
Windows7(64bit), it ran just fine.

Another possibility is too install LogMeIn Hamachi (It free) on both the XP
and your son's Windows7. After you have created a Hamachi network with both
boxes connected, Max could print to your XP from across the hall or from
Chicago even.

Jim