[AccessD] Just Another Old Boys Club

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Jul 9 23:13:26 CDT 2010

JS,

I can't make any recommendations other than pick a project that will get and keep you involved.
What I have found is that unless you keep at it, you never get over the hump and fluent.  I tried a
couple of times but I was firmly rooted in Access.  Then I got a client that needed some heavy duty
SQL processing.  When I tried to automate it using Access (I know VBA like the back of my hand) it
just wasn't "enough".  That provided me with "the project".

As it happens I decided to go take a C# class at the community college.  I did so more as a way to
meet other people doing C# than because I needed (or liked) the classroom method of learning.  I
already knew more than I learned in the class but it did force me to keep a schedule, do specific C#
things that I didn't necessarily need in my project, and I did meet a bunch of techies.

I ended up taking a pair of semester classes and I don't regret that time spent.  In fact I will
probably enroll in the fall for the next thing... not sure what yet... again just to get out there
and meet people.  Being a sole proprietor, working in a home office can be isolating.