[AccessD] Access source control

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jul 13 21:39:19 CDT 2010

 > I guess the success will depend on what you hope to gain.

I am hoping to gain differentials immediately.

 >Without a check in/out from within Access, any changes to a database will have to be manually
exported and then imported to subversion, right?

Yes, unless Subversion can be automated from within Access, which I would guess would be possible.

 >I'm not familiar with the product, so how do you keep versions of the objects rather than
overwriting, or does it matter?

I am not sure how, this is just an idea that popped into my head.

I am currently faced with a set of FEs that I need to see the differentials of.  That is what
Subversion is all about after all.  So the big picture is to check in two versions of the FE and
then see what Subversion shows me for differentials.

How???  No clue, but it is a matter of pride that having no clue has never stopped me before.  ;)

What I know is that we have this thing called EatBloat which neatly exports everything in a database
to files.  Well... it has some issues (number of items in a list control IIRC) but those can be
worked out.

What has to be done is figure out how to have subversion check those files in.  Even better would be
to have subversion executed from inside of Access to check those files in, though that is not an
absolute requirement.

Once EatBloat is run on two different versions, and each is checked in to subversion , differentials
should be available.

I use subversion from inside of Visual Studio, but I have never done so from the command line or
from a right click menu for explorer.  But apparently others in this forum have done so.  They need
to speak up.

I have a manual for subversion that I need to start reading.