[AccessD] disk drive temps for the Norco 4020

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 19 19:21:38 CDT 2010

I had a client who owed a Dairy. The server was stored up stairs in the
refrigeration warehouse. This location had three issues that needed
resolving before the system would remain stable.

1. The upper-floor of the warehouse would over heat due to a combination of
close proximity to the roof and being right above the refrigeration
compressors. It would get so hot that the hard drives wouldn't read.
2. The power source was unreliable and as soon a compressors would turn off
an on the computers would get seriously wacked. I replace 2 motherboards in
just over a month.
3. The environment was so full of static that the signals through the
network CAT5 cables were continually dropping. Network performance was that
of a 4 mbit Arcnet connection.

The problems were resolved by running an air duct up from the cooler,
installing a big top of the line, through the battery, UPS and the cables
from the server to sales offices was replaced with 75ohm coax cable and two
combo LAN cards to a coax hub (IRQ 5 and 7...if anyone remembers those times
and designations).

Jim