[AccessD] Future of Microsoft Access

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Sun Jul 25 03:19:50 CDT 2010

Hi Stuart --

<<<
But we find that the same functionality takes
several times more effort than Access/SQL Server apps

That's one company experience - mine is different - and you know I'm in
"advanced/extreme" MS Access/VBA programming league since the end of 90-ies
- I mean I do everyday see the difference - MS Access VBA low vs. VB.NET/C#
high productivity etc....

<<<
Maybe the tougher economy is making people
more realistic about real-world value in
their systems development.

Yes, there many good MS Access VBA/VB6 developers developed many good
applications but there are even more who produce "real crap" - so much waste
of time and other resources - with VB.NET/C# the amount of "crappy software"
is considerably less - and in the case one get a task to "clean-up the crap"
it can be done much quicker using VB.NET/C# apps than with MS Access/VBA/VB6
apps - in the latter case whole rewrite is often needed...

MS Access VBA programming has got missed the whole mainstream trend of the
modern programming - Test Driven Development, and it's (happily) missing now
multi-threaded application development...

You know I'm not an "IT snob" - I'm making my customer software development
for living and my customers are small companies - unfortunately IMO MS
Access is getting to the niche programming (rather large niche probably) but
with MS Access VBA one is rapidly get out of mainstream of modern business
software development, and it will be not so easy to get back on that
mainstream - the more you get "spoiled" with MS Access VBA...

Thank you.

-- Shamil