[AccessD] Future of Microsoft Access

Mark Simms marksimms at verizon.net
Sun Jul 25 19:52:22 CDT 2010

> Yep, Access is a very useful tool.  When you look back at
> what Brad Marks is asking, Access is perhaps perfect for
> those kinds of things, AS LONG AS it is not going to run a
> Lowes hardware or something similar.
>
> I wrote a call center application for the disability
> insurance industry in Access.  I started in
> 2003 doing this.  The client was about 20 people, brand new
> company, small budget etc.
>
> Access was a good fit for that task, at that time.  We got
> the app up in a basic form really pretty quickly and then
> added on over the years.
>
> And therein lies the problem.  The app is approaching the
> limits of its expandability now.  The application has grown
> and grown and grown.

Damn good post John.
Let me add that there have been less than one dozen Access
engagements/contracts in the entire metro Philly area over the past 2 years.
5 years ago there would have been 50+.

However, demand for Excel work has been brisk.
Strong demand for BI (Business Intelligence) applications appear to be the
reason.
MSFT is out to take market share away from Hyperion(Oracle), Business
Objects(SAP), SAS, and Cognos(IBM).