[AccessD] Needs analysis

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Jun 22 03:12:04 CDT 2010

Hi John

I think I've read at some time that for high volume SQL Servers (and most other SQL engines in fact) data files, log files and temp files should be kept on separate spindles, even separate controllers, to maximize I/O.

Don't know about your log files' size but - as 32 or 64 GB SSDs are priced for humans -  a compromise could be to direct the log files to such a single drive. And perhaps temp files to another.
This way you could optimize your RAID drive for holding and reading the data files.

Just and idea - I have not made any tests in this area myself.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 22-06-2010 04:03 >>>

Writes are another matter of course, but remember that I do not write - AT ALL!!!.  OK, I write to log files, but not back to the data disks.