[AccessD] A 2003 on VM Ware

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:04:31 CST 2010

I've added an OLEUnbound32 control to a new form that uses a linked Word file that is set on the fly.

The form is used to display individual Word files that can be opened from the form for edit or printing.  The purpose of the form is to provide a searchable index to 10s of thousands of cataloged equipment components.  This allows us to search for categories such as drills, scaffold, forklifts, hand tools... by unit number, description, name or numerous other ways.

The form displays a single page Word doc of ~600 KB that contains a JPG and a bit of text with a header and footer WMF graphic.  Take away the JPG and the file is 64 KB.  Take away the logo in the footer and the wire frame graphic in the header and the size of the Word doc is typically 50 to 60 KB.

The application FE size is 16 megabytes.  When I add the new form, decompile, compact and all that good stuff, the file size is over 50 megabytes if I leave a linked file in place.  Remove the single control and compact and the size goes back down to 16 megabytes.

Keeping the control in place, after navigating to the first item, the size goes from 16 to 50 megabytes.  Navigate to a 2nd item and the size bloats to 83 megabytes.  Thereafter it appears to creep another 300 KB per record navigated.

Every time a person runs the shortcut to open the FE application, they get a new fresh copy and it will always start out at 16 megabytes.  My only real concern is, what happens when someone is working on compiling a scaffold manual of 500 or so components?

The code that sets the linked file:

Private Function DisplayDoc(ctlDocControl As Control, strDocPath As Variant) As String
    With ctlDocControl
        If Len(Dir(strDocPath & "")) Then
            .Visible = True
            .OLETypeAllowed = acOLELinked