[AccessD] Visual Studio Express (was: Treeview/ListviewOCXDisabled by MS)

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Sat Mar 13 13:03:40 CST 2010

...no and yes ...there is no way that I can put a VS app on the client's
desk as fast as I can an Access app, at least I can't ...I'd say 3 times as
long or more on an initial project ...BUT the VS app is a lot more stable
and can do a slew of things Access flat out can't do or requires a ton of
API coding or shelling to accomplish.

...if it has to be quick and cheap, then Access is still the tool of choice
until I have a much larger library of VS apps built ...but if the client
weighs reliability and flexibility over quick and cheap (I know, I know)
...or wants real SQL Server speed and safety, then its VS ...and with what I
hear re VS2010 the gap may be narrowing significantly even now.

...and consider that I've spent years getting up to speed on Access so that
3x advantage over VS will almost certainly fall as I come up to speed
(literally) in using VS ...my big plus with VS is that I can do so much with
it that I can't with Access.

...other's experience will certainly differ

William