[AccessD] Big data for all

Max Wanadoo max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 09:28:37 CDT 2010

Thanks Jack

Tons to read.

Max

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Jack and Pat
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:49 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Big data for all

Interesting stuff Max.  There are several announcements about making data
more available and letting people have access to it. Give them some tools
and let them discover what the content may really contain. Discover the
hidden facts within all those public data collections.

Here is a link to recent google announcement last week

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Messaging-and-Collaboration/Google-Public-Data-Expl
orer-Breaks-It-Down-for-Students-Wonks-Stat-Lovers-251500/?kc=EWKNLDAT031120
10STR1

The key part of this is the availability of public data. There is an effort
to get more public data available for review and analysis.

The tool will allow a lot of mix and match of datasets for comparisons.

I haven't been following much of this sort of thing, but I did happen upon
the following link in some other stuff I was reading.

http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_shows_the_best_stats_you_ve_ever_seen.
html

This presentation (done in Feb 2006) is worth the time to view it, I think.
The presenter/project leader is good.  He mentions at the end that a group
called GapMinder.org is (at that time) taking on further development. I see
in the Google related information that they acquired materials from
GapMinder.

 Jack