[AccessD] break key

Jack and Pat drawbridgej at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 25 14:10:15 CDT 2010

Rocky,

I have searched looking for Dell Inspiron 1545 Pause/Break key issues. I did
not find a specific reference to the 1545, but I did find the following that
you may want to pursue.  This is at:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19285247/19520977.aspx#19520977

Question in Dell Community:

Hi everybody,

I've just received my brand new Studio 1555 Laptop but I was disconcerted
when I noticed that there is no PAUSE/BREAK key. This is a key that I
actually need for a few applications.

Could you please let me know which is the shortcut to reproduce the PAUSE
key?

Along the same line, it looks like that also the embedded numerical keypad
(i.e. small blue numbers on JKL UIO 789) is gone. That was useful to type
accented letters with FN+ALT+0234 (and the like). Any way to reproduce that
behaviour?

Thank you for your assistance.

H.

Response:

H,

I too was surprised to see the Pause/Break missing.  Looks like Dell decided
it is more important to have a cd eject button instead of the Pause/Break.
I am a programmer and need that key for debuggining purposes.  Fortunately,
I was able to remap the F10 key to be Pause/Break.  There is a greak free
keyboard remapping program called smartkey which can be downloaded from
<http://www.randyrants.com/2008/12/sharpkeys_30.html>
http://www.randyrants.com/2008/12/sharpkeys_30.html

Here is the registry setting for setting the F10 to act as the Pause/Break
in Win XP.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode
Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,46,e0,44,00,00,00,00,00

Another suggestion at the site was to

Re: Dell Studio 1555: missing PAUSE/BREAK key

11 Aug 2009 02:16PM

Try...

Start, search. Type

osk

hit enter. The On Screen keyboard will display and you can use the
pause/break key from there.

Good luck ,

Jack