[AccessD] ...table driven command/menu bar interface needed

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Tue May 11 21:54:29 CDT 2010

jc/rocky

...afaik the office 12/14 object models no longer let you build commandbar
menus from the developer interface ...you have to do it through vba ...as
for 2010, it appears there is now LIMITED customization of the ribbon
interface available that will allow us to achieve "something" similar to the
commandbars ...so if I go that route, turning the ribbon off isn't an option
...it appears that the minimum I can achieve through that is a two row
interface, one for the tabs and one for the commands ...and there appear to
be severe limitations on the command flexibility ...right now, I'm
testing/debugging a table driven command bar menu builder that should work
in both A2k3 and A2010 ...we'll see if it works ...but then I'm afraid
they'll deprecate the whole command bar object in the next version ...the
@#$%^&%^'s running Office Development appear to have their careers invested
in the ribbon and the Access Development team are having to walk carefully
around it ...now I'm faced with an entire user interface built around the 32
bit MSCOMMctl.ocx treeview that simply won't work in Office 2010 64bit
because MS refuses to upgrade the common controls to 64bit.

...am I feeling a bit pissed on? ...you bet, like a tree root in a dog park!

William