[AccessD] Simple-Talk commentary

Mark Simms marksimms at verizon.net
Mon May 17 07:54:32 CDT 2010

No, no...I would not dismiss this commentary.
I've witnessed first-hand Access being banned in a corporate environment.
For the most part, it's dead. In my neck of the woods, there hasn't been a
meaningful Access development contract request in over 2 years.

However, Excel lives on and indeed the new Powerpivot in 2010 is going to
keep in humming along....
 unchallenged by the ever-so-pathetic Open Office initiative.
And when you look at the Querycell add-in, suddenly Excel becomes an
in-memory database of sorts.
Unfortunately Microsoft has strategically decided to let VBA just die.....so
it's dot-net and VSTO for GUI controls and logic for add-ins. Indeed, MSFT
provided named parameters in C# in Visual Studio 2010 expressly for the
purpose of providing intellisense for Office application interop with
dot-net.