[AccessD] Access 2007 Append Query – Issue with automatically inserted brackets [ ]

Brad Marks brad.marks1 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 13:42:05 CDT 2010

I ran into something strange while doing a Make Table Query that was
followed by an Append Query (from a “purchased system” table that has many
field names with embedded blanks.)

To understand this issue better, here is what I did to recreate the problem
-

Created a new table with only one field named “Cust Name” (note the embedded
space in the field name)

Used an Access “Make Table” query – this worked nicely.

Then I tried an Access “Append Query”.  Access generated this field name in
the Append To: field        [Cust Name]   (Note the brackets that Access
inserted)

When I run it, I receive the following error msg.

“The INSERT INTO statement contains the following unknown field name: ‘[Cust
Name]”.  Make sure you have typed the name correctly, and try the operation
again”

 I can resolve this by removing the brackets.

This is not a big deal for this little test, but the original production
table has many fields with embedded spaces in the field names.  It would be
nice if I could somehow ask Access to not wrapper these field names with
brackets when doing an Append Query.

Is this a feature?  Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Brad