[AccessD] Constant copy interruptions

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 19:35:57 CDT 2010

Sounds like something I should install on every machine I look at but it is not always an option to install applications on someone else's machine and then teach them to use.  Really a customizable and configurable file search facility is something that should be native to every OS, complete with a keyboard friendly GUI.  I have an iMac at home and it's tougher to put anything where you might want it or find it afterwards.  At work, the parent company is using Sharepoint and everything is stored as BLOBs in SQL Server and it is much harder to find anything because of how their system works.  Fortunately they've begun to see the light and will be moving files back to the file system like our division has been doing.  I generally put things where I want them on my own Windows machines so finding files is not much of a problem.  I've built a photo attribute mdb for work photos that lets me find photos on any number of parameters I choose to flag and may expand it to work with more types of files.  At home I've been using one for movies that allows me to search by Actor, Director, multiple Genre, Year, Music, Writer, IMDB rating, my rating, Rotten Tomatoes, audio/video quality, sub titles ...  Something just a bit more helpful than a file name, date or size.  I'll may roll my own file indexing system by expanding on what I've already done should the need ever arise.  The problem remains that it's not something I'm going to put on every machine I may work on.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com