[AccessD] New engagement; trying to avoid the "tip of the iceberg" consulting trap

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Sat Nov 6 15:31:45 CDT 2010

I think you have to be clear up front about your charges - hourly rate,
travel, extras, etc. - which means also telling them whether you will charge
them for the initial consultation and/or the evaluation of the code in
preparing the estimate and how much it will be.    If they accept your
proposal would your eight hours of prep be 'on the clock'?  If so, and you
want to charge them then I'd be inclined to tell them there's a charge for
the evaluation, and promise them a work product that will be worth the money
- an evaluation of the current system, state of the code, etc., and
recommendations for changes and enhancements.  8 hours is a lot to expect
form a consultant without compensation.

Of course, it's a bit of poker going on here.  You want them to pay but not
so much it drives them away.  I've always found that you have to give away a
bit to get the initial commitment.  Only you can judge that one.

Rocky