[AccessD] New engagement; trying to avoid the "tip of the iceberg" consulting trap

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Nov 6 18:00:26 CDT 2010

Don't give them a price!

Tell them your rate, and explain the concepts of Agile Development.
(http://agilemanifesto.org), especially the concepts of  changing requirements and why you
can't  give them a firm price.

Explain that you if engaged, you and they will jointly identified deliverables with estimates to
acheive them as you progress and that at any stage they are at liberty to reject your estimate
and halt the project.

The get them to agree to a  first deliverable of:
    a full assessment report of their existing system ,
    a proposal for how to proceed,
    an estimate of the time required for the next stage and
    a "ballpark" estimate of the likely total time for the whole project.

--
Stuart