[AccessD] 8 columns of data to 6 output fields

Chris Swann dc8 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 16 13:41:06 CST 2010

Hi All,

This is causing me a bit of a headache and I wondered if anyone could
think of of a neat and easy way to accomplish my needs.

Basically I have a table where I need to extract data from a combination
of 8 columns in order to fill 6 output fields.

I have created 8 lookup tables as I also need to map the values in the 8
fields to a standard set of codes required for the output.

Two of the fields contain slightly different data to the other 6 which
also complicate things further.

Not all of the fields may contain data that is needed for the output either.

So, I need to process the two "odd" fields first to ascertain if they
contain data that needs outputting, and if they do, potentially fill the
first two output fields.

If the first of the "odd" fields contains data that has to be output
this needs to go in the first output field. If this "odd" field does not
contain suitable data then I need to check the second "odd" field to see
if this contains data for the first output field.

If both of the "odd" fields contain suitable data then they need to fill
the first two output columns.

So, after processing these fields I may have none, one or two of the
output fields populated.

I then need to check the remaining 6 fields and put the mapped data into
the output fields. So, I need to check the first of the second set of
fields and, if the first output field is empty after the first steps
above, put this into the first output field. If the first output field
is filled then this would need to go in the second output field. If this
was filled from the steps above, then this would need to go in the third
output field.

The same procedure then needs repeating for the other 5 fields to
populate the output fields as described above. As the output fields fill
up the next field needs to be filled until I possibly fill all six
output fields. This may happen before I finish checking the second set
of six fields as there would possibly be two fields filled from the
first pass leaving only 4 to be filled from the other six fields.

I have sort of got something running by a horrible iif statement for the
first of the set of fields but not only is this horrible I can't now get
my head around what I need to do next !!

Hope that someone might be able to come up with something.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Swann