[AccessD] Basic Questions ? Access 2002

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Fri Nov 26 15:31:21 CST 2010

I have only worked with Access 2007 applications.  Recently I have started to help a friend with an old Access application that uses Access 2002.

One of the enhancements that is desired is to be able to sort the data in one specific table in more than one way and on multiple fields.

I am planning to start by setting up two queries.  One to sort by Customer ID and then Order Date and the second query to sort by Order Date and Product Id.

There is a need to update the data, no matter how it is sorted.

Question One.
Is it a problem if there are two queries open at the same time, both with the ability to update the underlying data?  I am concerned that this could lead to data corruption.

Question Two.
Is there a way to determine (in VBA code) if a query is Open or not?  I am thinking about closing Query1 if it is open when Query2 is being opened, and Visa-Versa.

I know that these are quite basic questions.  I have very little experience with Access 2002 and I want to understand these things better before moving forward.

Thanks,
Brad