[AccessD] DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery with Temporary QueryDef

Heenan, Lambert Lambert.Heenan at chartisinsurance.com
Wed Sep 1 12:27:48 CDT 2010

No you cannot do that. OutputTo requires the name of the object being output. So you would think that this would work...

    Dim db As Database
    Dim qdfTemp As QueryDef

    Set db = fnThisDb

    With db
        ' Create temporary QueryDef.
        Set qdfTemp = .CreateQueryDef("", _
            "SELECT * FROM SomeTable")
        DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, qdfTemp.Name, acFormatRTF, "H:\test.trf"
        .Close
    End With

If you code Debug.Print qdfTemp.Name  then you will see the name is #Temporary QueryDef#, but if you try using qdefTemp.name as show above then all you get is an error 3011, [Jet] database engine could not find the object '#Temporary QueryDef#'.

So you need to create a real querydef, with a real name, and then delete it afterwards...

Dim qdfNew as QuerDef

Set qdfNew = .CreateQueryDef("NewQueryDef", "SELECT * FROM SomeTable")
DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "NewQueryDef", acFormatRTF, "H:\test.trf"
CurrentDb.QueryDefs.Delete qdfNew.Name

Lambert