[AccessD] To framework or not?

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Sep 1 16:09:23 CDT 2010

Jim,

To extend your analogy, trying to assemble a trike from a pile of car parts would be a lot of work
and would almost certainly fail without a ton of parts not included in the pile at hand.

There is certainly no free lunch.  My framework evolved from common stuff that I did for projects
over the years.  In fact I have a stated agreement with my clients that they pay me by the hour for
the work I do on their project.  If code that I write is generic and I can use it in my framework,
then that code belongs to me (even though they paid me to write it) and I place it into my framework
library.  If the code is specific to their application or could reasonably be considered a "trade
secret" kind of thing, then the code belongs to them.

So while you are correct on all counts, the fact is that things don't go into the framework unless I
find it useful over multiple projects.

Of course there is bloat, but that is also true for a plain old library.  Id a client doesn't want
security then that doesn't get loaded or used even though it exists in the library.  In fact I use
Framework SysVars to initialize the framework.  A sysvar can be something like:

VarName		VarVal
UseSecurity	True

Now my code that initializes the framework simply checks the sysvars.  If the client indicates they
want security, I simply place a true in that SysVar and voila, security is available.  Security is
one place where there is significant setup required to specify which forms use security, and which
groups can use the various form capability.  Still, having the security written and in the framework
as a service allows me to turn my attention to setting up the security of objects in the FE, not
hunting around for how I applied security last time.

In general, frameworks provide services, and DotNet is a fine example of that.  Prewritten code that
does a ton of stuff.  dotNet is not a framework in the same sense as I am discussing however.
Windows or Linux is closer to what I am talking about.  A program that is always running that
provides services to an application.