[AccessD] Presentation Level Security System (PLSS)

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Sep 8 09:36:22 CDT 2010

Guys,

PLSS is proceeding apace!  I have applied it to (my client) DIS' application and am now actively
controlling form security in a real application.

DIS' application is called DISCO and in DISCO I use my framework called C2DbFWA2K (2nd generation).
  Inside of C2DbFWA2K I had designed security which I lovingly called Light Weight Security (LWS).
That security was not table driven; I had to write lines of code in each form's OnOpen to set up the
security.

Anyway, I had to strip all of that out, remove all LWS tables, forms, queries and modules.  So DISCO
still uses C2DbFWA2K_PLSS (the PLSS indicating that LWS was removed) and it also uses C2DbPLSS.  Of
course C2DbPLSS now controls security.

DISCO_PLSS references C2DbFWA2K_PLSS first so that it has access to the framework functionality,
then it references C2DbPLSS so that it has PLSS functionality.  I have migrated their existing users
/ groups / user groups info into PLSS since the data was virtually identical.  Disco_PLSS now
correctly controls form properties based on that data.

This is a huge step for me since it allows the client to actually start testing and hopefully soon
push this into production (they need it quickly).

I still have a little work to do on the form security wizard.  And of course I have to develop the
control security wizard.  I am open to input on that wizard.

The issue is that while I could just go to msysObjects to get a list of every form in the database,
getting the controls on any given form is more work.  The only way I know to do it is to open the
form in design view and start iterating the controls collection of the form.  By itself this is no
huge deal, but it does cause populating the controls list to be slower than populating the form's
combo.  Essentially as I select a form I have to open the selected form, scan the controls
collection, run each control through a case statement to see if I want to even display that type of
control etc.  It may also cause issues binding the list to the names of the controls if there are
very many controls.  I am guessing a temp table is in order.

I need your input on what kinds of controls you feel would have security applied.  All bound
controls, command buttons etc.

But what about lines, Labels, Images etc?  If so should I have check boxes to filter out and only
show the types of items selected in the check boxes?

This control wizard will end up having the same functionality and look similar to the form wizard
but may be harder to use simply because of the sheer number of control types.

Any input cheerfully accepted.  Anyone interested in beta testing also gratefully accepted.