[AccessD] Automating web page entry (was: Scroll button)

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 12:20:43 CDT 2010

Gustav:
>In Visual Studio you have a native browser object
>which allows you to read the page, input data, and
>call JavaScript functions of the page.

Except for the learning curve, that sounds like by far the best approach.

jwcolby:
>VBA can automate IE, I know that because I have
>done that...

This sounds like your best approach.

>This is a huge time suck for them and the rest of
>the state of PA.  To be honest I am praying that
>they will wise up and start accepting data files.

>Nope, every person in the state who wants to
>enter data into their system gets to spend hours
>every week poking data into a web form.
>THOUSANDS of man hours monthly across
>the state, I am sure.

I'm smelling an opportunity: write an automated interface to the PA website,
then use that to sell custom interfaces to the customer's existing data.

Even if PA adds a web service, you are still in business -- you'd be selling
web service automation instead of browser automation.

-Ken