[AccessD] LightSwitch - first impressions

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Sep 11 21:16:16 CDT 2010

1) Slow!

I am doing development in VS2008 / C#.  Compiles on my dual core laptop are net speedy, but much
faster than this.  Compiles on my quad core server are MUCH faster, but I don't have LightSwitch
installed there yet..

I have not installed and used VS 2010 on my laptop yet so I don't really have an apples to apples
comparison, but it (LightSwitch) is slow compiling, and slow loading the initial screen.  Very slow!
  "Hope this ain't the reality" slow.

2) Ugly

The default is definitely not going to win any design awards.  But it does work.

3) Easy so far

I defined about 8 tables so far, and two forms for data entry of "type" lists.  To build a data
entry form I just clicked the button and selected the table.  Form done, and in the menu.

Now these are just single field list type forms.  Nothing too difficult.  I have to build out the
forms to populate these list tables so that I can move on to the next level, a form that uses combos
to select items from these lists for FK fields in that table.  That is where the rubber meets the road.

We'll see.

Questions:

1) Where is the data?  AFAICT it uses SQL Server Express, but there is no new instance of SQl Server
Express in my SSMS and the one that is there does not show a new database for this project.  So
where is it putting the data.  Please tell me it isn't doing something stupid like storing to XML.

2) How do I publish this thing.

3) How do you add classes, forms etc.  There is nothing in the right click menu like there is in VS.
  This is obviously a shell over VS.  Hmmm...

Fun so far!