[AccessD] Droid 2 - best add-on apps

Rusty Hammond rusty.hammond at cpiqpc.com
Tue Sep 14 09:08:44 CDT 2010

I have the Motorola Droid - some apps I use regularly -

Advanced Task Killer Fee - lets you easily stop programs that are
running in the background and draining your battery

Evernote - www.evernote.com - keeps notes saved online that you can get
to with your phone or pc.

Google Maps and Google Places come as part of the O.S. and it also has a
built-in gps navigation application.

Google Goggles - it may come as part of the O.S. - you can scan a
barcode or take a picture of an item and it searches it out on the web.
Handy for comparing prices for an item at another store.

The Weather Channel

Google Sky Map - the kids really like this one - point the back of the
phone to the sky and it shows you the stars, planets and constellations
in that area of the sky

Yahoo Music

OI Shopping list - there are many other shopping lists on the droid
market, this is the first one I came across

Tv.com - I just watched a full episode of the original star trek series
while waiting for my daughter at gymnastics practice.

Bubble - it's a bubble level - handy for straightening out pictures on
the wall :-)

All of these are free.  I haven't paid for any apps yet but may pay for
pdanet.  It allows you to use the phone as a modem for your pc.  Handy
for getting to the office pc if I'm on the road (with my wife driving of
course).  It uses the phone's data connection.  The same feature is
built into the latest version of the O.S. but you have to pay a monthly
fee to Verizon for that.  This bypasses that feature so it's just the
one time cost of the software.  The free version of pdanet won't allow
you to use any secure websites.

Logmein also has an app for the Android O.S. so you could actually
control any logmein enabled computer directly from your phone.