[AccessD] Search as you type

Doug Steele dbdoug at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 10:28:40 CDT 2011

I've built a form with a live search box so that a client can enter
any text to search (on one field only) and the form redisplays with
the matching records.  My first attempt is to use the 'OnChanged'
event in the search text box and re-filter the form using a filter
"Name like '*xxxx*'.  This works well enough on my local machine, but
on the client's network there is an annoying pause after each
character is typed.  My ideas on speeding this up are:

1. Only re-filter when the typing pauses for, say, half a second.
Usually a search is done by entering a few characters quickly, like
'Bill', then waiting to see the results.  I can't quite figure out how
to do this, though.
2. Use ADO for the form recordset, to avoid network traffic.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug