[AccessD] New Language

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Apr 12 05:50:28 CDT 2011

 > It sounds like your daughter has a very rare disease and her life will be very challenged.

Allie has Williams Region Duplication Syndrome.  The Williams Region was discovered back in the 60s
when it was determined that some people had a genetic deletion - mission part of that gene.

Doctors have been able to find genetic deletions since the 60s apparently, and always suspected that
where there is a deletion there is a weak point in the gene and that probably there would be
duplications - perhaps in the same numbers as deletions.  However they didn't have the tools to
*find* or see the duplications.  About 5 years ago they they started creating such tools.

Allie was about the 40th person in the United States and about the 100th world wide that was
*diagnosed* with this duplication syndrome, however the doctors suspect that there are many more
that are just undiagnosed.

And yes, her life will be challenging for sure.  What she has going for her is that she is cheerful
by nature, quite cute and everyone loves her.  She just has that effect on everyone around her.
That will get her a long way in life.