[AccessD] Libraries and Frameworks [Was: AccessD Digest, Vol 98, Issue 7]

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 14:45:56 CDT 2011

> Charlotte Foust:
> Keep in mind that I come from a .Net world where everything is an
> object, so I learned to deal with that orientation.  Once you get
> accustomed to that, it makes sense to do it that way.  It's all black
> boxes.

One of my points is that you don't have to think about programming
constructs in the terms that their designers intended.

If, in C#, you have a static class with all public methods, no properties,
and no member variables, then it is a 'function library', for all intents
and purposes. Write your methods so that they are side-effect free, and you
are an instant functional programmer.

VBA has no static classes. But, VBA modules allow properties and member
variables, so all you have to do is hack in some initialization code, and
voila, a VBA 'static class'.

If you aren't proud about the 'purity' of the solution, (and trust me, I am
not proud), you can approximate a lot of programming concepts the language
wasn't intended to support.

-Ken