[AccessD] SQL Server times link as str

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Apr 23 17:16:51 CDT 2011

The SQL Server fields are time(0) and DateTime.  It is picked up by Access as a string, IOW the
field in design view of the linked table is a string.  That probably happens because Access does not
understand the miliseconds in the time, and AFAIK Access doesn't have a time field, only datetime.

The issues are many but small, including weird displays of the values, necessity to convert to a
date  - cdate() - to do compares with other times (it converts to date just fine) and finally, I was
trying to use the conditional display to color a date where it was <= date() + 180 (for example) and
it just doesn't work, the colors do happen but there is no rhyme or reason to the colors.

Things like that.

So Access thinks it is a string, SQL Server thinks it is a date or time(0) and I am constantly
fiddling with it to make it right.