[AccessD] Sending email from Access

Darrell Burns dhb at flsi.com
Tue Aug 23 15:15:25 CDT 2011

I'm developing an A2010 app that, among other things, needs to distribute
email notifications to a small list of recipients. The recipient list is
maintained in an Access table, so all I need to do is SEND. There are 3
obstacles I need to overcome:

1. There are about 100 workstations, running everything from XP/Office2003
to Windows7/Office2010, and I can't be messing with their administrative
options.
2. The eMails must be sent without operator intervention; i.e., no security
pop-ups (what Outlook refers to as the "object model guard").
3.  The app must be deployed as a runtime, preferably with no 3rd-party
attachments (like Redemption).

I've developed a partial solution that makes calls to the Outlook object
model. It gets around obstacle #1 by using late-binding so it won't be
dependent on a particular version:

Dim objOutlook As Object
Dim objMailItem As Object
Const olMailItem as integer = 0
Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set objMailItem = objOutlook.CreateItem(olMailItem)
objMailItem.Subject = strSubject
objMailItem.Body = strBody
objMailItem.Send

This solution works (as long as Outlook is already open); however, it
doesn't satisfy Obstacle #2 because the security warning does pop up.

Anybody know of a way to get around the Outlook object model guard?

Thanx!