[AccessD] AC 2007/2010 - Help...this is turning into a research project

Mark Simms marksimms at verizon.net
Thu Aug 4 10:28:21 CDT 2011

Long story short:
Got a call from an agency....for a "short term" contract to "clean-up" an AC
2007/2010 application.

I've finally looked into the plumbing....
All of the usual....some tables have no keys, some tables have client
descriptions as keys, etc, etc.
It was all designed by non-professionals.

It gets better: Most of the work is done in Excel....it acts as a giant
"dashboard"....investment/portfolio management application.

They are using all of the new Table features with OLEDB connections from
Excel to Access.
A million calculations are being performed against this linkages in
Excel.....25 worksheets total.

My first task of creating some VBA to update the OLEDB connections took over
8 hours.....and quite a bit of research. I kept on getting 1004 errors for
one of the connections. Here, it turns out that connection was to a Pivot
Table that went directly to an Access table.
Any attempts to update the DataSourceFile property failed via VBA.
However, get this: it could be done thru the GUI.
So once again, I tried researching this....to no avail.
It appears this whole project might become a research project.....and
the client wants a defined time-line.

What do I do ?