[AccessD] How to test with SQL Server data

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Aug 12 14:52:49 CDT 2011

John,

<<Am I going to have to run a program that edits the link data?>>

  Possibly.  If your not using a DSN, then yes you'll need to change the
server and/or database your pointing to by modifying the tabledef.connect
property.  If your using DSN's, you can either change the DSN your pointing
to or can change the DSN itself and where it's pointing to.

<<I know that the Tabledef has the server / username stuff it in at K can if
necessary edit that to point to the right server IP, or perhaps a different
database on that server.  OTOH that seems to be the easy part.>>

  It is.

<<How do I cause changes in the table to be reflected in the "local"
database?>>

  With in Access, Refreshing the table links will get you the current view
of a linked tables design.  To actually move changes you've made in one DB
and apply them in another, you can script a stored procedure.  Which version
of SQL are you dealing with?  Most of the scripting is done via a right
click on an object.

  What you'll quickly realize with SQL is just about anything and everything
is done with SP's.

<<How do I get the most recent data? >>

  Delete your test DB, restore the production data to test.

<<Do I backup / restore the database to a new (local) name?>>

  Yup or you can detach the production db (which takes it off line), do a
file copy, reattach it, then reattach the copy under another SQL instance.

Jim.