[AccessD] freelancing job sites (OT Reply)

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Aug 22 11:10:06 CDT 2011

Had an interesting weekend.

I have a full time job.  9 to 5(ish).  Been working here for over a
decade.  I have done some side work, a vast majority of it is with a
person that used to work at the place I work at still.

He is supposed to be the salesman, and I'm his 'development team'.  For
small projects things always go well.  For big projects, things always
fall apart.

The latest project we worked on was a comprehensive 'website' for
entering serious injuries.  Semi-complex form, with user security,
roles, email options, etc.  Took my about 3 months to build (at a break
neck pace)  Built it as bargain basement prices too.

Lately, my 'salesman' has been taking my time/money quotes, and not
adjusting them properly.  When I say 2 weeks, he should be telling his
customer 4 weeks, instead, he tells them 1 week, and hounds me.

This has wreaked havoc between us, and this past Friday, ended up on the
phone with him for several hours.  He said he wanted to work with
another developer.  I said fine. The project source had NEVER left my
hands though.  But I was more than willing to get out of this mess.  So
I gave him a VERY low quote for the source. He paid me half of it that
day, and I handed him the source code.  He should be paying the other
half in about 2 weeks.

Sunday night, he's knocking on my door.... his 'other developer' has
kidney stones, and won't be available for a few days.  He's stuck again.
Wants me to get back on board.....

Nope.

Drew