[AccessD] Access rounding scenario

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Aug 22 20:31:52 CDT 2011

Quite possibly.

Freight charges are generally  based on the *greater of*  weight or volume

You can put about 6.1 cu meters or 22 tonnes of cargo in a 20ft container.

So you can either fill it with 6.1 cu metres of feather pillows weighing x tonnes  or  partially fill
it with y cu metres of hammers weighing 22 tonnes.  (where x is much less than 22  and y is
much less than 6.1)

Effectively, the feathers will be charge by volume, the hammers will be charged by weight.

When working out the landed cost of imports, it is common to  apportion all bulk costs
including freight, insurance, clearance costs etc  on a "relative cost"  basis.

--
Stuart