[AccessD] freelancing job sites (OT Reply)

Mark Simms marksimms at verizon.net
Tue Aug 23 09:37:31 CDT 2011

> I believe most IT
> freelancers are in the business because they have strong marketable
> skills, not because they?re passionate about IT. (Passion and IT
> shouldn?t even be used together in the same sentence.)

Interesting comment. I used to just love IT for the work....and the pay.
However, with the outsourcing and insourcing over the past 10 years....
It's not that great any more....at all.
I discovered a couple of things in my last 2 engagements:

1) the temp agencies have staffed about 50% of their requirements with
foreigners
This has had a dilutive effect on the hourly rate to say the least.
I was shocked to see the percentage so high.
How did I get this information ?
The corporate Active Directory which identified each agency and contractor.

2) in many large corps, very little "IT" is actually being performed in the
IT departments.
It's mostly all about justifying one's existence (and pay/benefits !!)....as
well
as the management of a pool of temps/contract employees.
And IT protects itself well with lax deadlines and deliverables.
However, if you end-up being assigned to an END-USER department, be prepared
for quite the opposite....
High pressure....low pay.