[AccessD] User interface

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Aug 27 18:16:56 CDT 2011

One technique I often use is to  only have one form visible at any given time to avoid
accidentally switching between forms.

I keep a stack of form names.

Instead of DoCmd.Openform, I  call a function which:

Accepts a form name and optionally a filter string or open mode.
Pushes the current form's name onto the stack
Hides the current form
Opens the new form.

I have a second function which is called from the On_CLose of each form.
This function Pops the name of the previous form and makes it visible.

I never allow users to access tables directly, but I do let them  double click on a field to tunnel
down to another data form. I always make the text in the clickable field bold and/or a different
colour so that they know where they can do that.   That allow me to control whether they can
only read the data or can modify it.

Combining these two techniques lets users tunnel down through multiple layers of data and
then back out easily

Another technique I use is to maximize print previews and restore when the preview window
is closed.

I never use special buttons for navigation/save/delete - I rely on the built in controls. But I do
have a standard Help template which explains basic Access operations which can be made
available on F1.

--
Stuart